[Video] Case Study: Chemical Safety During Unloading Procedures

Following the release of a toxic cloud from an MGPI processing facility which led to the evacuation of 11,000 residents in Atchison, Kansas in October 2016, the United States Chemical Safety Board (CSB) released the video below detailing the circumstances of the incident and providing suggestions for how to prevent such incidents in the future.

The toxic chlorine gas cloud was caused by the inadvertent mixing of sulfuric acid and sodium hypochlorite during routine unloading. Human error, poor structural design and labeling of gas lines, and procedural deficiencies all played a part in the incident, which resulted in 140 reported injuries on top of the mass evacuation.

CSB safety video detailing key lessons from investigation into 2016 chemical release at MGPI processing facility in Atchison, Kansas.